Cuverville Island or Île de Cavelier de Cuverville is a dark, rocky island lying in Errera Channel between Arctowski Peninsula and the northern part of Rongé Island, off the west coast of Graham Land. Cuverville Island is located at 64°41′S 62°38′W. Cuverville Island was discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition (1897–1899) under Adrien de Gerlache, who named it for J.M.A. Cavelier de Cuverville (1834–1912), a vice admiral of the French Navy.This 2km by 2.5km island is a steep-sided dome, two-thirds of which is covered by a permanent ice-cap.The northern shore is a beach of cobbles and boulders, approx 1.5km long, backed by steep lichen covered cliffs toward the east and gentler slopes to the west. Fauna Confirmed breeders: gentoo penguin ,kelp gull , Antarctic tern , snowy sheathbill , blue-eyed shag , Wilson’s storm petrel skuas, snow petrel, piintado petrel. Weddell seals and Antarctic fur seals regularly haul out.Leopard seals often hunt near-shore.
© Ramdas Iyer Photography