A UNESCO world heritage site, Khajuraho is known for its sculptured temples dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu, and Jain patriarchs. Khajuraho was one of the capitals of the Chandela kings, from the 9th to the 11th century CE. This town contained about 85 temples built by multiple rulers from about 950 to 1050.Its remoteness probably saved it from the desecration that Muslim conquerors generally inflicted on Hindu monuments.Of the 85 original temples-most constructed of hard river sandstone-about 20 are still reasonably well preserved. Lakshmana temple, dedicated to Lord Vishnu, was built from 930-950 AD during the reign of King Yasovarman. It houses a sacred image of Vaikuntha-Vishnu brought from Tibet.It is one of the oldest in the Khajuraho fields,and also the most exquistely decorated, covered almost completely with images of over 600 gods in the Hindu Pantheon. The main shrine of the temple, which faces east, is flanked by four subsidiary shrines at the corners of the temple platform.
© Ramdas Iyer Photography