Port Lockroy(Position: Lat. 64° 49′ S, Long. 63° 30′ WGeneral location: Goudier Island, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago) is a natural harbour on the Antarctic Peninsula of the British Antarctic Territory. After its discovery in 1904 by the French Antarctic Expedition it was used for whaling between 1911 and 1931 and British military operations during World War II and then continued to operate as a British research station until 1962.In 1996 Port Lockroy was renovated and is now a museum and post office operated by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust. A major experiment on the island is to test the effect of tourism on penguins. Half the island is open to tourists, while the other half is reserved for penguins. So far, interestingly, the results show that tourism has a slight positive effect on penguins, possibly due to the presence of people being a deterrent to skuas - Antarctic birds that prey on penguin chicks and eggs.
© Ramdas Iyer Photography